Valuing Volunteer Management 6 Point Promise
The Valuing Volunteer Management 6 Point Promise is an initiative which aims to raise awareness of the need for good practice in volunteer management. It is a Hertfordshire wide scheme. All Hertfordshire Volunteer Centres are requesting that newly registered and existing organisations look to achieve this award.
Volunteer involving organisations are requested to self assess their current policies, practices and procedures with an easy to use checklist, available from Volunteer Centre Dacorum and on the website. The checklist consists of a series of simple statements about basic volunteer management. Organisations can decide whether they fully meet the criteria, meet them partly, or not meet them at all. Where gaps are identified, Volunteer Centre Dacorum will be able to help with 1:1 guidance, template documents and training sessions.
Once all the criteria of the 6 Point Promise have been met, the organisation will be issued with a certificate.
The benefits of signing up to the 6 Point Promise are:
- to be recognised by potential funders as taking volunteer management seriously.
- to be eligible for nomination for the countywide Valuing Volunteer Management Award.
- to be recognised by volunteers as a good organisation with which to work.
- to be more likely to recruit and retain volunteers.
- to have a higher profile - named on Volunteer Centres Herts website.
- to have access to further support from your local Volunteer Centre.
- to use the accreditation logo on organisation literature.
These are the 6 areas of volunteer management that will be covered in the checklist:
- Planning for Volunteer involvement - a Volunteer Policy covers all aspects of the relationship with volunteers. Role descriptions are produced and volunteering is open to everyone
- Recruitment process - potential volunteers are contacted quickly and recruitment processes are fair, efficient and consistent.
- Induction - new volunteers receive thorough preparation for their tasks and have a named person for ongoing support.
- Support and safety - volunteers are covered by insurance and are included in health and safety policies. Out of pocket expenses are met wherever possible.
- Training and personal development - volunteers motivations are met with appropriate tasks and those with extra support needs are enabled to volunteer wherever possible.
- Involving, rewarding and recognising volunteers - volunteers contribute to decision making and are fully involved in the organisations activities. Volunteers receive appropriate recognition for their efforts and we say.....THANK YOU!
To Register your organisation for the 6 Point Promise click here