Help Your Community Grow - with Sunnyside Rural Trust
This charitable Trust plays an important part in the local community by giving support to adults with learning disabilities. Funds raised from the Trust’s various events and workshops enable them to provide important and much needed work experience. With the help of the Trust trainees with learning disabilities gain experience in various aspects of horticulture including planting, potting on, digging & site maintenance as well as in practical activities such as working with willow.
At the Hemel Hempstead centre, trainees help grow over 76,000 bedding plants for Dacorum Borough Council every year, as well as growing other plants and vegetables to sell to the public in their farm shop. An amazing achievement!
Trainees are aged 16+ and spend 1- 5 days a week in supported placements enabling them to achieve their goals and objectives. This is not only beneficial to the individuals themselves but also to the wider community and environment.
If you would like to help support adults with learning disabilities the Trust has a wide range of interesting volunteering opportunities. Any help that you can give will be much appreciated. You will work alongside their highly skilled team and have the opportunity to learn a range of skills as well as receiving on the job training.
Examples of volunteering roles include:
- Driving their minibus to transport the trainees or accompanying the driver to support the passengers
- Site maintenance such as weeding, strimming, mowing, watering
- Preparing beds for planting
- Potting up, planting & harvesting
- Creating new projects at their sites, e.g. composting areas
- Helping with craft activities such as making cards, working with willow and wood
- Helping to make jam and preserves
- Helping with marketing and fundraising activities
- Painting fences and chicken coops
- Helping in their site shops & off-site market stalls
- Helping with administration
For more information on the many different opportunities visit www.volunteerdacorum.org and click on volunteerconnect. Alternatively visit us at the Roundhouse (by Boots), Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead. A Friendly welcome awaits you!
Opening hours: Weekdays 10.00-4.00 and Saturdays 11.00-3.00
Tel: 01442 214734
PLEASE NOTE – One-off opportunity - To celebrate Gardening Week (30th April- 5th May), Sunnyside Rural Trust want to enhance and improve the lives of elderly people by doing garden makeovers. Can you help?